Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in the trades here?

Default Anyone in the trades here?

I'm looking for a job board for electricians similar to what Dice is for tech-e nerds..
    http://www.dice.com/

Anyone know of one? My son has graduated from basic electricity school but can't find a job to help him get to the next level. Sadly, we don't know any electricians who can help him out....

Actually, any suggestions would do... monster board et al are useless these days!!!
    Ha-Ha! Made Ya Read!

I only know of the local electricians union. You should be able to find them in your local phonebook under IBEW or "International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers".

Or this may help:

http://www.ibew.org/IBEW/directory/index.asp

Interesting idea... thnx!

The jobs board on that web site was depressing though, only 4 job listings from around the country and all 4 said that work was slow right now.

That's pretty much what the electricians I've talked to around here have said too... not much work, no one looking for help. There's not enough jobs for any of them!

I was reading an article that said this generation was going to be called generation wtf, cuz they're all graduating and there are no jobs for them. It sux, really sux!
    Ha-Ha! Made Ya Read!

My stepfather convinced me in to getting an Electrical Engineering degree over computer programming. I hate him for that! My degree is useless for what I want to do.

Someone MADE you get one of the hardest degrees there is!?!?!?
    You had to have wanted it a little... they don't just give those electrical engineering degrees away!!!

But, all kidding aside... what is it that you want to do? You know, sometimes life has funny twists and turns. You might find out that the ee degree comes in handy at some point in your future. It might not be what you want right now, but who says you can't still pursue what you want?
    Ha-Ha! Made Ya Read!

If he's an electrician, have him check into companies that install solar power systems. They have to be doing about as well as anyone right now.

I plan to buy one as soon as I can afford to get a new roof to put it on.
    National Sarcasm Society
    "Like we need your support."

That is the only thing our EE department is doing here... Well, the biggest thing (solar).

CV, count yourself lucky. Computer programming drove me nuts, and when the only thing you could do with it was crap (remember Chum-U-Serve?/Prodigy?) you really did not see much of a point in learning C++.

3 years later, when my brother came through, is when 3.11 and AOL started moving in and the Internet as we know it today started sniffing around (no more direct-dial BBS's!).

I misse dthe boat and did not jump on (or think of it) until doing so would probably put me as a lowly peon at half the salary.

Look for ways to do EE for custom installations like computer and entertainment systems. That may be handy, because construction is at a standstill.

Quote Originally Posted by lilith View Post
    Interesting idea... thnx!

The jobs board on that web site was depressing though, only 4 job listings from around the country and all 4 said that work was slow right now.
    The national job board isn't really a good indicator of what your local job board looks like.

If he's just done basic electricity and has little on the job experience, then he will be in higher demand as cheap labor.

Project Manager with Electrical Engineering degree = Amazing job
    Wales, where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.
    Incoming fire has right of way

try to get in the union somehow.
    He will apprentice for a few years (3 or 5, i cant remember), then he can get fully licensed and go into business for himself or work directly with the union. Of course...knowing someone to get into the union will be the tricky part.

But like what was mentioned earlier, he needs the "on the job experience"
    Maybe he will have no choice but to find a part time job as an apprentice or something. It's a blow to the ego, but there isnt much of a choice right now it seems.

On a related note, college doesnt do much for you anyway. When you start college and you are lucky enough to know exactly what you want to be doing, immediately intern!
    If you start interning when you begin college, by the time you end you will have 4 yrs of work experience AND a diploma over all those who just have a piece of paper. If you are lucky, the place you intern with will hire you FT.

Thread Information