Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: does this look real?

I would wear a 4 point harness if they equipped them in passenger cars. Besides, an airbag won't stop you from submarining (unless they are putting them there now too.)
    National Sarcasm Society
    "Like we need your support."

nope - doesn't look real
    Wales, where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.
    Incoming fire has right of way

I have been doing bodywork on cars for about 20 years as a hobby and you can easily set off the airbag if you hit the sensor dead on of if you short it out. I doubt that the mercedes sensor is located where that bag could hit it. but if it was for an ad they could bypass the sensor and just set the bag off with a switch that shorts the trigger wires.
    I shorted a bag once by accident, cost about $800 for the replacement bag... scared the living s*** out of me too. The bag inflates in about half a second, and since the car isnt moving it stays inflated.
    I'm back, just like a bad penny

Saw the commercial.

Extremely fake.

They may have used a real airbag, but they did not inflate it using the canister. they also cleaned it off (I believe they are packed in a powdery material that keeps them dry and prevents them from sticking).

DD, they are only a partial aid for people w/o belts. Those people still slide under the wheel and crunch up by the pedals. As for belt wearers, it can help prevent whiplash and spinal injury. It does not prevent injury, it just reduces it.

As for adding $6000 to the price of a car? I think you are exaggerating just a tad!!!

I think you are exaggerating just a tad!!!
    Really? My explorer had 2 airbags, priced at $900.00 and $1300.00 each. Many new cars have up to 6 airbags now, and I'm sure with the compact size and odd shapes, the prices have only gone up. Call your insurance agent and ask.

The driver's side airbag only prevents you from striking the wheel, which is collapsible anyway as of 1971 or so. I'll grant that it may also reduce neck injuries from a frontal crash.

Only a 5 or 6 point harness will prevent submarining; an airbag won't, unless there's one that deploys in your crotch, as I said before. The looser you wear the seatbelt (or don't,) and the more reclined you adjust your seat increase the likelihood of submarining.
    National Sarcasm Society
    "Like we need your support."

I like to think of it more as "Compacting" or "Ergonomically Retrofitting".

Airbags generaly require two (2) signals to set off.
    Research it if you are curious.

Thread Information