Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virus

Default Virus

Good morning,
    A co worker of mine has caught a virus called backdoor win 32 hupigon.gen!e. She swears she was just on facebook. Will Avira or Malware bytes take care of this? Or are there more extreme measures called for?
    I'm back, just like a bad penny

Yep, Avira should take care of it, and I would scan with MWB also just to get any extra crap off. And yep, social networking sites are a HUGE place to pick up viruses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranshackle
    I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

lol... honey I wasnt looking at pron, I got it from my buddy at facebook

What is funny is, I am out at all kinds of warez sites, pron, torrents etc and I have never gotten anything... but I run the up to date av. I used to run AVG, but then you said avira, and I changed over that weekend. and knock on wood I have not gotten anything on my or my sons machines.
    I'm back, just like a bad penny

Correction: you've never gotten anything you KNOW about. some of these things are so sneaky (esp. the rootkits) that you'd have NFC if you had one or not.

a lot of people are incredibly surprised at what some of these tools turn up. and, for that matter, they only turn up what they're able to detect, meaning you may be infected and they're just not smart enough to detect it.

I have one huge solution for you all. Move to linux .
    For all the reasons to smile, 'for the hell of it' has always been my favorite.

How about, "no"

I run Ubuntu 9.04, OS X and WinXP on my MBP right now. Each OS has its advantage. But in my particular environment, it makes most sense to be booted into WinXP most of the time.

Now that Evolution is finally getting up to snuff and tying more seamlessly into Exchange (since Snow Leopard is coming Exchange-ready out of the box) ...maybe Linux will be a viable solution in the near future.

I think the Open Source movement both helps and hinders Linux as a whole.

I game on a Vista box so I'm really just kidding around.

But I have my own firewall and use two anti-x products. I haven't been infected by a virus since Windows 98.

Though I do usually rebuild my systems every 6 months.
    For all the reasons to smile, 'for the hell of it' has always been my favorite.

Tried Linux. I thought it was OK, but difficult to get everything tweaked (in that, you can tweak EVERYTHING).

The media players available were not the greatest (compared to MPC+CCCP), and when I tried dual boot, it would not boot up one of the systems (I forgot which one, probably XP). SO I tried to start over and now half my drive is unrecognizable (I think even on an attempt to reformat).

If anything seems infallible, let me at it and I will find a way to inadvertently screw it up.

The media players issue is one of the biggest complaints and is the most glaringly obvious mistake with regard to open source software and problem with Linux in general.

Linux's biggest flaw is that everything is open source, so you have 5,000 titles that all do the same damned thing, but almost every title lacks some crucial feature to make it "complete". Your average user wants a native tool that will just "work" for everything. They don't want to sit there and figure out how to install and uninstall all 5,000 music/video players and see which one looks and functions the best and has all of the required features. I personally don't like that I need to install VLC to have a decent video player, and Amarok for a decent audio player. Windows comes with WMP, which, with a simple codec pack install, will play nearly anything, and is friendly to both video watching and CD/audio listening. You even have this in OS X, FTMP (moreso than Linux). OS X is "as polished" as Windows.

Linux needs someone to grab the bull by the horns, take some control, and develop a fully working OS that you can just install and run with. Ubuntu has done an amazing job at getting most of the way there. 9.04 is showing a lot of promise. Hopefully by the time they get to 10.x or 11.x, they'll get it right. With MacOS Snow Leopard coming out for $29.95 license ($49.95 for 5-license "family pack") and Linux being free, I am sooooo hoping that M$ is forced to lower their currently absurd OS price from $200+ down to $50 max. There is no reason they should justify that kind of $$ for an OS.

No, not for an OS, especially when they charge (last time I checked a LONG time ago) $500 for Office.

M$ should really look at what some other companies do with their products. Especially ones that are production oriented. Offer them for a token fee (maybe just development cost) for the home user, but require licensure for professional use (profit).

You get a COMPANY to pay $$ per head for the production pack, you do not have to worry about the user. Not only that, you give it inexpensively to enough users, they are encouraged to use that over other software (use at home for free/little, more likely to ask IT for it at work).

I am hopeing the OS market starts doing the same thnig as the Browser market with Firefox and Chrome. Get to a place where there are some serious FUNCTIONING systems to give M$ a run for the money.

Thread Information