Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitar Tabs

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    I think I am missing one, ....

Wait till you find the rest-
    Practice, practice-etc.--D7 to D and follow the recommended finger pattern.
    Now D7 to whatever sounds good (or maybe it doesn't)-kinda like training your fingers to respond to your inner ear and regconizing note (ascending, desending) patterns.

I do NOT recommend patterns when first learning lead type playing.
    I do recommend patterns for learning chords.
    Like anyone will listen.

What?

Kidding.....

As for recommended fingering, I can see it for some, but D to D7 dingering seems werid in that I fine doing (from high to low) 1-2-3 easier for D rather than 2-3-1 (you can slide the index finger down for Dm I think, and I do not know what the chord is for just the two fingers (without index), is that called something like "free 2", I just saw it last night...)

As for "forgetting one" I know that these are not ALL the chords! I was just saying that these were the chords in the book so far!

Bar-F was hard, but Bar B-flat was almost painful!!! I can't het my index finger to get the first and 5th strings down on the fret (1 usualy sounds muffled). Does this get easier with time or do you have to have monkey-fingers like the pictures of the guy on the instruction pics?

Thanks for the help again guys!

There's a "knack" to barre chords that time will help with, but for me so far, the variations on the A major chord are still the hardest to have sound consistently good. The first joint on my little finger is weak (probably not uncommon) so the string under that finger is often fuzzy or just wrong.

I guess I'd say trying barring a little more towards the side of your index finger, rather than on the pads. Over time you'll pick up the knack of getting the joints lined up so you get good sound on the strings that you need to.

One thing my teacher taught me was to let the weight of your hand/arm pull your fingers into the strings as much as you need, versus squeezing the strings between your thumb and fingers. Just let your hand feel "heavy" as you're grabbing a chord and have gravity do the work for ya. Barre chords still require some squeeze, but if you keep the "weight" thing in mind, it'll help you play more relaxed but effectively.

Heh, I have also found out that getting the 2-3-4 fingers squished on a single fret is almost impossible with my wedding ring on!!!

Tanx Sab!

I fine doing (from high to low) 1-2-3 easier for D rather than 2-3-1
    I'd love to see a picture if that.

One thing my teacher taught me was to let the weight of your hand/arm pull your fingers into the strings as much as you need, versus squeezing the strings between your thumb and fingers. Just let your hand feel "heavy" as you're grabbing a chord and have gravity do the work for ya. Barre chords still require some squeeze, but if you keep the "weight" thing in mind, it'll help you play more relaxed but effectively.
    Remember it's the weight of your hand pulling into the strings not pulling on the neck.
    If you pull the neck you will pull that chord out of tune-not so noticable on an acoustic but try it on an electric.
    The squeeze will come in time (second nature,learned habit) as your hand gets stronger.

Shoot, hit backspace... :P

Any excercises for that? Any way to keep/develop the calouses? I have been fingering a pair of scissors (dull end, but still definite on those new shears!). I don't want to lose what little I have developed after a week of not playing......

Any excercises for that?
    A squishy ball may help, other than that practice.

Any way to keep/develop the calouses?
    Yes, practice.

No sandpaper?

Nothing I can grip on the bus or at work?

Yes, I know, practice, but there are more things you can do to make you run faster than just running (and no, I do not mean 'roids). Anything I can do to help accelerate some of these things the better....

Yari bako

I kid :P

You need to learn how to walk first never mind running.
    You should be practicing and/or playing every day even if it is only for 5-10 minutes.

Mostly practicing, as in practice a song (or what you know of it), practice a chord or a chord change, practice your strumming or your picking, practice your timing, practice a scale or a riff--you getting the picture?

You want something to do on the bus or at work-buy a good music/guitar theory book-you can't go wrong.

Go into your favorites and create a new folder called Guitar-in that folder create these sub-folders.
    Chords
    Scales
    TAB
    Theory
    Metronomes
    Youtube
    I'll post some links shortly to help you populate them.

Thread Information