Thread: VirtualDub Help

Default VirtualDub Help

Well, I am using FRAPS to record gaming and obviously I would like to compress it.

DIVX/XVID sucks. The file sizes are high and the quality is bleh.
    I want to use H.264. So I download the h264vfw codec and proceed to encode.

But for some reason, when it is finished, I do not get any video, only audio.
    Anyone ever experience this?

Or does anyone have a better way of doing it?

Blog Entries

I haven't done any video compression for a long time. I usually just upload them to youtube for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I haven't done any video compression for a long time. I usually just upload them to youtube for sharing.
    tough to do when your uncompressed avi is 40gigs ;p

Keep us informed if you find anything.

I would like to rip my library down to something a bit more managable, I do not like having 4.7G/disk for my collection!

(Also, re-ripping HD-vid from my Canon would be great, but it is not readily convertable with the free software I have found so far...)

I havent used Vdub in a while,

Ok so you open file, open video file
    Once the file you want to open is loaded go to the video tab, compression. Do you see your H.264 option there?

" Yes Ash the option is there", (why ask a question then ignore when someone asks for some details?)

Vdub has always been a b*tch to setup, but once its is setup it works great. So Vdub shows H.264 compression, you gonfigured it the way you want it but you get no video. FRAPS looks like you can get some odd res and framerates that maybe Vdub doesnt like? Maybe try a divx or avi conversion to see if its vdub looking at the source wrong or maybe the conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    " Yes Ash the option is there", (why ask a question then ignore when someone asks for some details?)

Vdub has always been a b*tch to setup, but once its is setup it works great. So Vdub shows H.264 compression, you gonfigured it the way you want it but you get no video. FRAPS looks like you can get some odd res and framerates that maybe Vdub doesnt like? Maybe try a divx or avi conversion to see if its vdub looking at the source wrong or maybe the conversion?
    someone say something? ;p

figured out the problem.

In the tutorial I found, THEY missed a step.
    I was doing a 1 pass encode or whatever. I needed to keep the current video open after the first pass was done, then go back into compression and select "Nth pass" to complete it.

Anything and everything you will ever want or need to know is here VideoHelp.com.

Thread Information