Thread: best free antivirus?

Default best free antivirus?

are these any good?

Microsoft Security Essential
    Avast
    Avira

Been using Avira on rec. from here.

Done pretty well so far, but I am pretty careful with what I double click on anyway....

Microsoft Security Essentials. Install and forget about it. Been running on all machines since it first came out without issue.

Avira is still my vote. I use MSE (per ganesha's post) on servers at work we don't want to licese with "real" antivirus, or those that aren't in the public domain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranshackle
    I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

About the time MSE came out, I noticed Avira came out with a bigger footprint. Was enough to nudge me to try MSE. I see/work on a lot of old systems and I can't help but warm to a smaller footprint.

Aside - Someone recently called me to fix an infection they had, they said I had fixed their PC a few years ago and until recently, all had been well. A few days ago they said they got infected and bought an AV proggie from Wal-Mart,

They bought Avira from Wally world, but for some reason, although they said they installed it and it didn't help. I checked and they still had the free edition along with some scareware.

Why didn't the install disks from something they paid for help them install a new more kickass version???

Don't know where this is going, just thought I'd share the ???

I was so impressed with Avira over the years and its ability to stop drive-by malware and USB-autorun malware in its tracks that I licensed it for 4 years at our office.

I dunno what your person's issue was with the WalMart version. You can download all of their software (latest version) by visiting their website - even the pro version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranshackle
    I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

They probably did not verify it (input the license number)...

Either that or they "bought" a hard copy of the free version. I do not know if WM would sell someone something they could DL for free, but I would not doubt it!

Thread Information