Thread: DreamHost still good?

Default DreamHost still good?

Are they still a good cheap shared web host?

Has anyone hosted a large photo/video gallery or any large PHP app? Do you get any problems with maxed out "resources"?

Thanks.
    National Sarcasm Society
    "Like we need your support."

Blog Entries

I still use it for many sites, and also for email. This forum is on Dreamhost as well. For under $10 a month, really can't beat.

I have about 4GB of stuff on the site, and use about 33GB a month on bandwidth. No where near their allowed limit.

I still use Dreamhost, since Will (Secret_Squirrel) turned me onto them years ago. I've seen a lot of complaints lately about outages, but I'll be frank - I haven't seen a damn bit of those. I have used their gallery software. If you set such add-ons up, it's a one-click install, I highly recommend you set it to auto-update to prevent hacking. While I was in Italy year before last, I got a notice from them that a PHP remote-injection script was found in one of my folders on a scan (which I hadn't put there) and they were prompt to lockdown my accounts, which I liked. Turned out, someone exploited the Gallery software I used to issue up pictures of my garden and automotive hobbywork.

I think at this point, with accumulated bandwidth and storage, I have a few TB of storage space and several TB of bandwidth per month. I even acted as a mirror for Wes' TF2 server for a while, it could usually make it much of the month without maxing back then, and I had a fraction of the bandwidth.

Anyway.... I still recommend. They haven't done me wrong yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranshackle
    I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

We were looking for alternatives to a shared host that was limiting "entry processes." Initially I was worried about a malicious script that might have been injected and hogging all the resources.

As it turned out, there was a corrupt extension that was firing over and over and calling the core script multiple times. The shared host was doing what they should have been doing, which was limiting our CPU use. It just made it difficult to troubleshoot because we couldn't get in to the program to turn on logging.
    National Sarcasm Society
    "Like we need your support."

Awesome. Yeah, that's a bear. I only use Dreamhost for non-essential things. All of my messaging is with Google Apps and I have no sensitive, intensive, custom, and/or mission critical things hosted there.

Dreamhost only Linux boxes? I'm looking to do some .NET development.

I'm hosted on Linux. Not sure if they offer anything other than LAMP.

Thread Information