Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No "cable" TV

Main page has the link to it.

I think they said standard USB can power it...

http://www.raspberrypi.org/quick-start-guide

"Micro USB power supply – make sure you use a good quality one, capable of providing at least 700mA at 5V. Do not attempt to power your Raspberry Pi by plugging it into a computer or a hub."

The first thing I powered up mine with was an iPhone charger. Fail - had weird issues on boot where it wouldn't get an IP. I then slapped it on the USB port of my Dell E-series Latitude dock and it came up fine. Ran it at work for days playing music with no problems that way, then brought it home using a BlackBerry-branded charger, moved to my entertainment center which had a Moto/Droid charger wall-wart and it still works fine.

So, yeah, there may be some issues.... it worked with the USB port on my docking station (not direct to the laptop, but how different, really?) so ... dunno. Grain of salt, my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranshackle
    I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

Quote Originally Posted by shifty View Post
    The first thing I powered up mine with was an iPhone charger. Fail - had weird issues on boot where it wouldn't get an IP. I then slapped it on the USB port of my Dell E-series Latitude dock and it came up fine. Ran it at work for days playing music with no problems that way, then brought it home using a BlackBerry-branded charger, moved to my entertainment center which had a Moto/Droid charger wall-wart and it still works fine.

So, yeah, there may be some issues.... it worked with the USB port on my docking station (not direct to the laptop, but how different, really?) so ... dunno. Grain of salt, my friend.
    well, then you can see my confusion since the website itself says something else.
    Oh well, only one way to find out!

And I bought a 32 gig sdxc flash card a month or so ago. I hope it can somewhat take advantage of those speeds!

I've been reading that it has problems with a few video formats. My WD media player has the same problem, although it is an older version and the newer versions have more processing power. Both the WD and RaspberryPi seem to have problems with large MKV files.

http://www.memetic.org/raspberry-pi-xbmc-and-dts-audio/
    When I came to try some content nothing would play smoothly at 1080p and only about half of the 720p content I tried would play smoothly. It turns out that the ARM CPU just doesn’t have enough grunt to decode the DTS audio found on almost all 1080p and most 720p content. Almost XviD content I tried played fine, one or two had some hiccuping and one or two just refused to play, I think this is probably related to the encoding features used.
    ^Also contains some OC'ing info^

For $35 it's still the better alternative.

And, since I already have it pulled up I'll post the processor comparison for kicks:

RaspberryPi:
    -CPU – 700MHz
    -GPU – 250MHz

WD TV (1st Gen):
    -CPU - 300 MHz

WD TV (2nd Gen):
    -CPU - 500 MHz CPU

WD TV Mini:
    -CPU - 2.0 or 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2

WD TV Live (1st gen), WD TV Live Plus, and WD TV Live Hub:
    -CPU - 500 MHz CPU
    -CPU - 333 MHz
    -DSP - 333 MHz

WD TV Live Streaming:
    -CPU - 700mhz
    Last edited by =A!M=OakWind; 10-05-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Shifty - can you confirm since you have one?

Mine is on backorder

Confirm what? I have four. I'm not even using two, they're just in the office for coworkers to tinker with, since it's industry-related.

confirm what oak said about mvk files in 720 and 1080p formats.
    Does the R-Pi struggle with it?

I've never experienced that problem, but with a quick cursory search, there's been a solution around for a little while now, it seems: http://openelec.tv/forum/68-audio/43...ng-passthrough

FYI- all future model B's will now have 512 ram.

All orders on backorder (i believe) will be getting the upgrade.

Price stays the same
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2180

Thread Information