Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virtual reality is there !!! VR headset review

Dammit do you talk about 2 1080 TI in sli ?

Blog Entries

No, just one 1080 Ti is already more than enough. It is crazy how fast these new CPU and GPU are. No overclocking already gave me over 9,000 3DMark score. With some basic overclock, with no voltage changes, CPU runs at 5Ghz, and it push the 3DMark score to 10,000. https://www.3dmark.com/spy/3552864

Type Desc Cost Vendor
    GPU GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 $1,052.53 EVGA
    PSU EVGA 850W T2 Titanium $237.17 newegg 3rd party BuyVPC.com
    CPU Intel i7-8700K $377.90 Amazon
    Mobo EVGA Z370 Classified K $277.19 newegg
    RAM G.Skill DDR4 4133 (17 latency) 2x8GB $379.99 newegg
    Case Rosewill Thor V2 $79.99 newegg $89.99 with $10 rebate card
    HD SanDisk 1TB Ultra 3D NAND SATA III $276.98 Amazon
    CPU Fan Noctua NH-D15 dual 140mm fans $89.95 Amazon
    Total $2,771.70

I think 2 1080 ti is required for the Pimax 8Kx. We are not yet there since no VR game display at 8K not even 4K. The vive pro has a similar requirement than the first headset. GTX 1070/970 and an old intel i5 with true 4 cores do the job well.
    My samsung runs very well at max graphic setting and I don't have the minimum CPU requirement.
    Nice built for the incoming VR products

Blog Entries

By the time there is a game (or VR goggle) that require 2 1080 ti, the 1080 Ti will cost just $300. I'll buy a few of them then.

Little news for those without a headset. Samsung Odyssey drop price now available for only $399 USD. (Bestbuy, Microsoft Store, etc) It is the same OLED screen as the one in the Vive pro. The main difference is the tracking system.

Blog Entries

In VR, the display, well for me, it's not too big a deal. Tracking is off is a BIG BIG deal for me. I get motion sick immediately when the image doesn't correspond to what it suppose to be. So far, only HTC VIVE give me the actual VR feeling. Oculus is close, but still not there. You really need 2 satellites like HTC does to provide pinpoint accuracy on the headset movement.

For anyone who want to start to play VR, I strongly recommend getting the classic HTC VIVE for $499. It comes with 2 satellites beacons and 2 controllers, and the headset, of course. I think it's the best deal for what it comes with. (Each of the beacons cost over $100 each, the controllers also cost about as much for each)

No motion sickness with the Samsung Odyssey here... I can't really understand. The tracking is right on track unless you have no light in the room.

But not all games coming from Oculus are 100% working correctly. It is why they release new versions available on the Microsoft Store.
    Also almost all the VR apps are in beta stage. When you try games without the Windows mixed reality compatibility on Steam you can end with inversed controllers.
    That can be fixed with a tool OpenVR-AdvancedSettings-Installer-v2.5 but better waiting than losing time on this.
    This also works for the HTC VIVE when you have REVIVE installed
    Last edited by Muscat; 04-12-2018 at 01:23 AM.

Blog Entries

I had REVIVE installed, but I found most games there are quite ... how to describe it... sub-par? The movement and control are targeted for the lower platforms such as Oculus and phone devices. They always minimize the polygon counts and movement as much as possible to avoid lag issue and avoid the need of high processing power need.

I don't even have REVIVE installed in my new gaming computer any more. For most gamers would be quite disappointed knowing the platform that they choose won't have certain games release due to the limited processing power.

For example, a soon-to-be-released game call Beat Saber will not be released for Samsung because the developer thinks mobile VR headset won't be powerful enough. May not be the best example to show why, but I would have been very very disappointed knowing this game won't be available for a platform that I chose.

https://youtu.be/RzVMKIHQht0

Attached Images Attached Images

mmm... Samsung Odyssey is NOT a mobile device it is WMR . REVIVE is made for HTC VIVE to be able to play Oculus rift games. But since WMR (Windows mixed reality headset) works almost 100% with all Steam and VIVE products this is working with the Samsung Odyssey very well and you can set the image quality in the config....

Talking about WMR, the Lenovo Explorer is now at $199. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4pLhf_piDI
    You get better rez than the VIVE for 1/3 the price.

Some people really don't like the VIVE pro design. Here is an example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Gx5DV5zFKlU

Thread Information