Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDMI or 4K?

Blog Entries

Hehe. OLED. That's the next thing.

they look VERY nice in the store

Quote Originally Posted by tensux View Post
    they look VERY nice in the store
    and better in my living room

Hey guys, be very careful about your 4K TV purchases. A lot of them can be missing HDR and wide color gamut in particular which is a huge jump for picture realism. Look for the UHD Premium certification logo which guarantees you'll get those features. It's a burn to invest and end up missing what UHD fully brings to the table. Handy article at the jump.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...s-uhd-premium/
    Abandon All Hope

Also, some things to note:

if you are using it to game:

1. the refresh rate. 60hz, 120hz, 240hz. On the larger tv's especially, it might say 120hz or 240, but it will usually actually be 60, using built in software to upscale to its stated level. It'll say all over the package '240hz', but it just won't be true. Television signals are at 60 hz, video game console signals are at 60 hz, so they assume you are going to be using this tv w/an incoming signal of 60hz and achieve a similar effect of 120 or 240 hz by upscaling via software from your assumed-to-be 60hz signal.

What they don't expect is for you to hook up your killer gaming computer to a 65" screen and actually send a 240 hz signal. These tv's can't handle such signals. So even though the tv says 240 hz, it might only be able to accept a 60hz.

This is most likely the case if the tv you are looking at calls itself a "tv" as opposed to a "monitor". "Monitors" that tout themselves as 'monitors', and not 'tv's', are more likely to actually be able to handle the higher refresh rates you might send from your computer - but these don't usually get up to very large sizes, or are much more expensive when they do.

personally, 60hz is fine for me, so i have a samsung 120hz 55" tv as my main monitor, it only takes 60hz, but upscales to 120, and looks fine to me, and it was nice and cheap on an x-mas sale so if I ever become unsatisfied, its not like i'm out a lot of money.

Besides, w/VR coming, we'll all be using the VR headsets for a lot of gaming, which renders one's acting monitor capabilities unimportant. Who cares about your monitor's refresh rate when you are using your VR headset to view your games. The SteamVR/HTC_Vive I think is 90hz on each screen for instance. So I wouldn't break the bank to get that 65" w/true 240hz refresh rate actual monitor, when you can spend a fraction of the price for one that just upscales from 60hz.

Plus, there's another option. What I do is I have a second monitor that is only 24" but is a gaming specific monitor. I mainly just use it as a second monitor. But if for some reason I really needed higher refresh rates for some game or other I can temporarily make that the main monitor - a much cheaper way to get the super refresh rate for those occasions you might actually want it. And for smaller monitors, like a 24", you don't have to pay all the much more extra to add a ton of features.

2. connections - i tried connecting in several ways, dvi to hdmi seemed to work best w/my tv. Though I still had to change some settings in the tv's menu to get that crisp perfect look. Which of your graphics cards outputs you use matters, its very different. Also, after hooking up and getting your tv menu settings how you want, check out your nvidia control panel's monitor scaling settings. Didn't need to mess w/that after hooking up w/dvi, but when I was connecting in other ways I was having to tweak every little thing to get it to look right as a monitor.

And you can set in the nvidia control panel whether the tv or your graphics card makes the adjustments to fit what you are doing to your native resolution. I set it to have the gpu do it on its end.

And yet another issue - cable length. If you have a big tv as your monitor, you probably have it mounted on a wall or up high or what have you, and the cables that come w/your graphics card/monitor/etc... are likely not to be long enough, so be prepared to have to buy a cable or two.

And be careful what brand you get. If you have an off brand tv/monitor capable of high resolutions, and windows just treats it as a generic monitor, you might have to create your own driver to enable those resolutions, not all manufacturers even have such drivers available. Not hard to do, but annoying.

3. things like gsync only exist on monitors up to a certain size. My second monitor is a gsync monitor, 24". Being small makes it nice and cheap even w/all the fancy features that ya just don't see in the size of my main monitor. And it has a stand that lets ya swivel it all around, so I can make it vertical to display sheet music when playing guitar or what have you.

4. Point is, if you really want gsync, or special color displays, or true high refresh rates (rather than upscaling) then you have some tough decisions to make. Very large tv, or smaller but gaming-feature-heavy-monitor.

Or VR headset. hehe. Most of the VR's are going to be coming w/a virtual staging room that will allow you to play your non-vr games on a virtual 2d 200 inch screen.

Blog Entries

Smell like a spammer

Mmmmmmm... Fried Spam.

Thread Information