Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Reality Headsets

Blog Entries

Oh, my order status changed as well:

HTC Vive
    • Boxed Shipment
    • Order Status: Pending Fulfillment
      Your order has been released for fulfillment. You will receive a shipment confirmation email with tracking when your product is shipped. Tracking numbers will be displayed on this page after the product has shipped.

Blog Entries

OMG! OMG! OMG! It is shipped with Fedex 2 days! Will be here on Wednesday!!

Gratz! Same! => Woot woot! Why oh why couldn't it come last week when I had the week off! hehe. Might have to wait till the weekend to actually use it due to work, but It'll be nice to finally have it!

Time to start thinking about what games to play on it. I'll post about any I try, to warn others away from any that fail in their attempt to support VR, I'm sure there'll be some lemons especially as its so new. Thank goodness for steam's refund policy though, can try stuff risk free. Wheee!

I'll want to reinstall Elite: Dangerous. It supports the vive. I already have it and have played it a bit with friends, just normally non-vr wise, I look forward to it on the Vive. Already visually immersive, w/VR it ought to be insane. Can use it w/voice attack to have voice commands too (though its a pain to set up). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR7JtILMOdY I find it hard to imagine working well w/the vive controllers, might wanna use my xbox controller w/it still, but i'll give it a try and see what I think both ways.

Another space one, that's not out till later this year. Everspace. I backed it a while back. Not an alpha backer though so I have to wait for beta to play it. They added OR support in the recent alpha, will add Vive support for the beta. https://www.vrfocus.com/2016/04/ever...hes-this-week/

Simulation games in general will really benefit from VR I think.

Pool Nation VR. comes out in May. I already have pool nation, the non-vr version. But something about pool actually being in 3d so you actually aim the stick like you really would as opposed to w/a mouse makes it a lot more appealing. We'll see how good of a job they do.

and of course there's all the little games that have already come out, just searching on steam and filtering by VR brings those up. I'm more curious about older games that retroactively add VR support so might not show up in the list since they weren't made originally w/it in mind.

Then of course, there's just playing 2d games w/in the VR headset on giant virtual screens, ought to be cool on its own. Heck, my main monitor only does true 60hz (artifically upscaled to 120), so just playing in the headset will give me 90 true hz, so it'll be an upgrade even for 2d games. hehe. I plan to play the hell out of Stellaris and Total War: Warhammer, both regular 2d games about to come out, but maybe i'll play 'em through the headset anyways.

looking around at install advice, in addition to the above, you can install the steamvr software in advance too, through steam. Its just freely available to everyone. Its not in your games library in steam though, its in your tools library in steam. Under the 'library' pull down menu, then 'tools'. Can d/l it in advance. Also, can opt in to beta for it (right click, properties), for the latest version/features.

I also found that I need another cable. A display port to mini display port cable.

I read that the Vive wants a usb port connection to your computer and either an hdmi or display port. I have plenty of usb ports, and power for them, so I'm good there. But i guess the Vive comes w/the cables assuming you'll do the HDMI route. At least in the past, when this guy got his, according to this older article, it didn't come w/a display port cable (maybe they fixed that omission since). So if, like me, your graphics card only has one hdmi output, and you are using it for your monitor (one of my 2 monitors, dvi for the other), then you need to use the display port output on your card for the vive headset, which from what I read it can do just fine - just doesn't come w/the cable. So be ready to have to supply yourself a display port cable. Or switch your monitor from hdmi to hdmi, to display port to whatever input your v has, or dvi to your tv, freeing up the hdmi port.

Anyhow, glad I came across this. Would hate to have the rig in hand but be unable to use it because I'm missing a lone cable. hehe. Figured i'd share the info. And like I said, it might be they fixed this omission and it actually comes w/the cable but a quick look makes it seem like it only comes w/an hdmi cable and a usb cable for the part of the setup that hooks up to your graphics card. (my card has 1 hdmi and 3 display ports and 1 dvi for outs).

Blog Entries

Thanks for the heads up.

Ever since I got a 4K monitor, and a Lenovo Carbon notebook from the company, I needed cables in many combinations of DP to Mini-DP, or HDMI. I'm well stocked. When I just upgraded my old video card from GTX 690 to 980 Ti, the plug changes. I had to get even more cables. lol

I'll keep using my normal 4K montitor for normal use. Maybe have my 42" TV right next to it to mirror what the VR set see. Gonna be awesome. I'm asking my daughter to help clear an area for it. Since we have a few dojo mats, I'm going to put 2 of those down in that area so we can walk and lie and crawl on it.

Blog Entries

Just double checking my available display cable. I've already have a DP to mini-DP cable plugged in, but not being use. I'm good to go.

Blog Entries

ETA, Tuesday!

I spent half a day yesterday doing clean up and got a 7'x9' area. Can't wait!

Blog Entries

Mine arrived! Opening the box!

Thread Information