Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Win 7 on neweeg for $179

I'm using the 32 bit version exclusively. No problems at all.

Now the 64 bit version was another story... Too many driver conflicts and lockups.

>sigh<

I thought a full version was too much to hope for!

And not a working 64 to boot? Double downer...

How many times do we need to tell hedge what an RC is? Second time you've asked, bud. RC *is* the full version dude. Jebus, wtf? It's not the final release version, but it's good until next June, hopefully when prices will be down, and it is still constantly updated, etc.

64-bit RC is running flawless on the media PC I just built for the office, no hangups, no lockups, no crashes. Here are the specs for the box. That's my public wishlist - only thing I bought elsewhere was a Silverstone TOB02 blu ray drive. http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=12097112

Also had 64-bit (beta, not RC) running on a custom built rig with an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo. No BSODs. No lockups. Worked like a champ.

I'm running 32-bit exclusively at home on my Dell D620 laptop. Operating flawlessly as well. No bluescreens.

I have yet to have a bad experience with Windows 7. Seriously. If Epic would have done this well with changing up UT3 after the failures of UT2003/4, I wouldve been all over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranshackle
    I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

shift man, pardon for being confused when you say it is the real thing, only it expires.

To me, that aint the real thing and makes it hard for me to remember it as such.

/me shrugs.

I hope they have some sense and lower the prices on this sucker. It IS the OS, not any app software (really). It would eb nice to be abel to run your machine w/o having to pay someone ELSE to get it running.....

I too love W7! I pretty much skipped Vista altogether. I tried it way back and immediately had issues of one kind or another and just bagged it. W7 on the other hand is a different story. I ran the betas and the RC and pre-ordered W7 Pro upgrade for $99. Downloaded and installed it a few days after release and it's been running flawlessly (64bit btw). Granted, a fresh install of any OS always feels great. But since I ran all the betas and RCs and dumped all kinds of software on them and they kept chuggin right along, I have a feeling W7 will retain that 'new install smell' for a longer period of time.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    shift man, pardon for being confused when you say it is the real thing, only it expires.

To me, that aint the real thing and makes it hard for me to remember it as such.

/me shrugs.

I hope they have some sense and lower the prices on this sucker. It IS the OS, not any app software (really). It would eb nice to be abel to run your machine w/o having to pay someone ELSE to get it running.....
    I thought lifetiem subscription for Tivo being $400 was outrageous. But I bought it. And it was worth every penny. Still using it several years later. I'd pay half as much for W7 and get just as much (or more) use out of it, quite honestly. Why spend it in either case? It's necessary to make my unit work easily and properly without tons of hackery, whether it be the Tivo or my PC.

With that in mind, and thinking about what you spend on games - which are an addition to your computer, they don't even help run it, while your OS is permanent - and makes your computers run....something you'll be using day-in and day-out for the next half-decade or more, how can you tell me that $99-319 for a version of Windows 7 that you'll use daily for the life of your computer(s) is too high of a price? Seriously? GTFO!

I get it. And I didn't before. But, I gotta say, Windows 7 is polished. It's nice. I like it. It's not one of the freeware solutions like Linux that causes me innumerable fits of research and work every few months. It just ... works. And has. And everything works with it, FTMP.

Expiring edition or not, W7 RC was free, it is essentially the full-version edition of W7, but I will need to re-up come June of next year. For someone complaining about how "W7 is too expensive", you have an opportunity to run it for free until June 2010, but you'd rather forget what an RC is and blow it off as "not the full version".

Go, you!

In another thread somewhere I tried to explain that even at $300 an OS is still a minor component to most computers. Most video cards are more expensive than the operating systems that run your entire system. I still don't understand the sticker shock. Especially if you are getting the $180 version. I mean my memory cost more than that. So did my power supply. Hell my case, if you include the fans cost the same amount, and that's just a case.

But I guess there's no ability to download a free case, which goes a long ways in the mindset a lot of people have when thinking about price. Here are a few nifty articles:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...publishers.ars

http://www.ratracetrap.com/the-rat-r...coherence.html
    For all the reasons to smile, 'for the hell of it' has always been my favorite.

That second link lit up Avira, some HTML-based script virus loaded from the blog (no adverts; not sure where it came from). User beware, YMMV, it may be nothing.

With all that said, I just want to reiterate one thing: I applauded Apple for releasing MacOS "Snow Leopard" for like ... $30. Until I realized I was basically paying $40 for an upgrade from 10.5.x to 10.6.x - that would be like me paying $30 to upgrade from XP SP1 to SP2!. You'd spit in my face if I told you that as Microsoft employee.

The reality is, Apple DOES have what I feel are more "reasonable" pricing offers: ~$175 for a 5-pack/family pack of 10.5 Leopard, then $40 more for the 10.6 Snow Leaopard .... but the new W7 Home "3-pack" (family pack) when you add it all up, it's arguable that, for what you get, Microsoft is actually more competitively priced.

For how much more I like W7 over MacOS, feature-set, usability, stability, etc. I gotta say ... W7 is still the better buy. And it's really NOT outrageously priced for what you get when compared to the other big OS manufacturer out there (Mac). I think W7 is also more flexible in letting the consumer buy what they need. I'm glad to see we've scaled back in W7 to get rid of all this 'business' versioning, but I really wish they would have further pruned things to remove the 'home' vs. 'home premium' product. home/professional/ultimate is suitable divisioning, I feel.

But, I dunno.

I've been spoiled rotten over the years. Not only have I gotten more free software (pirated) over the years than I can shake a stick at, I've always managed to have some means with which to have a free, legitimately licensed copy of Windows on my computers - ALL of them. So, in that light, yes, actually buying an OS is a daunting task for me. It DOES seem expensive. But I'm actually (probably) going to do it this time, or at least - some time next year. I'm hoping that by summer, we'll see a price drop, and we'll see 3-packs of Win7 Ultimate as a realistic option under $400 so I can put them on my HTPC, my gaming rig, and my floater notebook I use around the house (or on my netbook, if I have one at the time).
    Last edited by shifty; 11-02-2009 at 05:37 PM.

wow, i haven ever seen shifty give such a glowing review about an OS before lol
    I'm almost buying the $180 version for win7 ult... but i just remembered that I have a bday and christmas coming up. lol

Quote Originally Posted by dragonash View Post
    wow, i haven ever seen shifty give such a glowing review about an OS before lol
    I'm almost buying the $180 version for win7 ult... but i just remembered that I have a bday and christmas coming up. lol

After using vista i thought to myself Microsoft has really screwed themselves and it would take their next OS to be a miracle.

On the 7th day God gave us Windows 7!

Remember how you felt that first few months with XP?? That's how I feel with W7 and I've been running the RC 64bit since it was released months ago. It astonishes me how much faster everything runs AND looks super sweet doing it... PLUS all the xtra tweability that XP didn't have and vista tried to have.

XP 8 out of 10
    vista 4 out of 10
    W7 9 out of 10

Can you feel the vibe i'm feeding you about W7??

Thread Information